Saturday, October 24, 2009

All Creatures Great and Small

I'd put it off for as long as I could remember. I knew that they all came highly recommended. There was just one major drawback--I don't really like animals much. I have been known to like one here and another there, but in general? No, I can't say that I care to read all about them. But in the back of my mind the books were always waiting for me, waiting for me to give them a chance.

From the first sentence I was hooked. I'm always interested where I find extraordinary writing, but I confess I hadn't expected to find in in a country veterinarian from Yorkshire. I was amazed to find myself devouring accounts of bovine obstetrics, canine broken bones, and various disgusting diseases, but devour it I did. The masterful descriptions on the idyllic scenery, the amazing recoveries, and the endearing stories of colorful characters. . .

It's often amazed me that the people of whom I have a less than stellar first impression turn out being my very best friends--almost without fail. It shouldn't surprise me that these books are now the main source of entertainment in our home these days. I feel like I've made friends with history.

  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • All Things Bright and Beautiful
  • All Things Wise and Wonderful
  • The Lord God Made Them All
  • Every Living Thing

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I love James Herriot's books! I read them when I was a child, and then again just last year. There were just as fun & interesting to read, and gave me quite a few laugh out loud moments! Really charming.